The combination of reading and writing is a bivalent skill, vital for us, ordinary mortals, but also the best kept secret of successful writers. Each writer is defined, directly or indirectly, by his personal library.
This top of the best books to read is inspired by "Writers vote their favorite books", a top made with the help of 125 contemporary writers of Britain and United States, including Norman Mailer, Ann Patchett, Jonathan Franzen, Claire Messud, and Joyce Carol Oates.
Each autor sent a list of their favorite top 10 works of all time (novels, short stories, drama or poetry), placed in order of their preference.
Each of the 554 titles that were submitted by writers scored from 1 to 10, so, as always, the first title in the list of preferences received 10 points while the latter is priced with 1 point. Finally, the points were collected and te top of "The Best Books of the Twentieth Century" was created:
1. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
4. Ulysses by James Joyce
5. Dubliners by James Joyce
6. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
8. To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
9. The complete stories by Flannery O’Connor
10.Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
If you loved this post, you should also read Top 10 Books to read of All Time